Thursday, October 11, 2012

DIY Autumn Holiday Wreath for $3

 
http://pinterest.com/pin/231724343298389048/


Pin rating: 5
Duration: 15-20 min
Cost: $3.00

Granted the pinspiration and final product don't look exactly alike, but sometimes you're inspired to do something of a similar sort and not to make an exact replica of what you see.  And the results still look great!  After seeing the holiday decorations on the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland (and not to mention my sister repeatedly asking for a holiday wreath for our door) I knew I could use it for inspiration for a wreath for our home.  I really  loved the bow on the Haunted Mansion decoration and was aiming to make something similar.  Since I'm on an unemployed budget I knew the dollar store was where I would have to go to find my inspiration.  When I walked into the dollar store I was looking for any sort of material that I can make a holiday wreath and I actually saw them well stocked with Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas decorations!  I decided to go with an autumn theme instead of a Halloween and/or Thanksgiving wreath.  This way we can keep the wreath up for October & November.  :D



  • Grapevine wreath
  • "String" of fall colored leaves
  • 1 roll Wired ribbon - the wired is a must in my opinion ($ store had 1 roll of 9ft wired ribbon.  I bought 2 just in case but I could have done fine with just 1)
  • Hot glue gun & glue sticks


Loop the string of leaves around and through the grapevine circle.  Make sure you wrap it tight so that the leaves don't sag.




For the ribbon I measured a loop out against the wreath for size.  You don't want to make it too big or too small.  I made the width of the ribbon a little bigger than the width of the wreath.

I cut the ribbon after I measured it (make sure you cut 2 ribbon strips the same length if you want the double bow look) and glued the loose ends to the center for the first piece.

To add a little more of a bow look, take the two wired ends of the ribbon and twist them together.  This give the ribbon a twisted bow look.




Take the 2nd ribbon piece that you cut out and place 1 end on the top center of the 1st ribbon.  Loop the rest of the ribbon under and complete the circle by placing the 2nd end on the center of the 1st ribbon as well.  This should create sort of an interlinking bow.  Glue the points down.


Now figure out which side of your bow is the front or back.  Center and glue ribbon (uncut from the roll) onto the back of the bow and loop it around to create the center of the bow.  I looped it twice to give it a fuller look.  Leave a gap when you loop it around so that the bow puffs out.  

End the center loop in the back and glue that down into place. From here, without cutting you can just pull the ribbon down to make 1 tail end of the ribbon.  

With the remaining ribbon (tail end) you can cut it in half and make the other half you other bow tail.  Just glue the newly cut piece onto the back and angle it a little outwards so that it makes a perfect bow. Now just glue the bow to the top of your grapevine wreath.

The wreath didn't have a good hook and we only have a tiny screw on the door so I decided to make my own wreath holder loop.  I cut the wire part of some left over ribbon.  Then I looped it through the grapevine circle.

I tied both ends around and twisted it close.  I also reinforced it with glue to ensure it holds up.

And all done and ready to enjoy for the next 2 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment