Wednesday, May 8, 2013

DIY Silver Polish






Pin Rating: 5
Cost: $0
Duration: 10-15 minutes (not including the time to boil water)

My boyfriend found some of his grandparent's old silver ware dining set in the back shed and they were all tarnished.  After he heard that I used a quick DIY home recipe for my jewelry he started asking me about it and was wondering if the same solution can be used for silver polish.  Of course I turned to Pintrest to help me answer that question.  :)  Turns out the two formulas aren't too different and it was just as affective in cleaning.  Also perfect timing to bring out the nice silverware for a mother's day brunch this weekend.  ;)

Ingredients:
Boiling water
Baking Soda
Salt
Foil (enough to cover the sink)
Objects that need polishing


Start by layering your sink with foil so that the whole bottom sink is lined.  If you can plug your sink, that would be ideal so that the silver items can become completely submerged in the water formula to allow full contact for cleaning.  Set a pot of salt water to boil.

While you're waiting for your water to boil, sprinkle the baking soda all over your objects in the sink.


Once the hot water comes to a boil, carefully pour the water into the sink.  I wasn't able to submerge all the items so I ended up flipping it half way through.  My sink also wasn't plugged so it slowly drained durring the process.

Nice little action shot of the silver being cleaned.  Remember, you need to have the silver touching the aluminum in order for the cleaner to properly work.

After 10-15 minutes your silver will come out cleaner!  If you still have some spots, I heard that white tooth paste (not the gel kind) works wonder as well.  You'll just need to polish by hand but it should work. 








No comments:

Post a Comment