Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Toilet Paper Roll Art



Pin rating: 5
Cost: $0 (save your toilet paper rolls!)
Difficulty: Easy

The first time I saw toilet paper roll art on Pintrest my mind was blown away!  I knew I had to try this at some point and I finally had a chance to do it.  So I've been collecting toilet paper rolls ever since last year. (You might even remember one of my organization post with gift wrap & toilet paper rolls)  I had a nice collection until some of it was thrown away so I only had a couple of rolls for this project, but 4 rolls seemed like a perfect amount to get started.  

For this particular project, I got my design from this post here at KidsKubby.com 

  • Toilet Paper Roll (at least 4)
  • Hot glue gun/hot glue
  • Scissors or paper cutter
  • Paint of your choice (optional)
  • Push pins or nails to mount 



I didn't take too many photos of the cutting and piecing together, but I did try to take a lot of pictures for close ups and floral designs.  Enjoy!


Start off by flattening the toilet paper roll.  Cut the tub into 1 inch pieces. You should be able to get about 5-6 pieces out of 1 roll.  For the vines you want to cut the toilet paper tube into a 1 inch piece and then cut the piece at one end to create the vine/stem shape. Lay them out how you how you like the to design the shape.

Take the pieces and hot glue the pieces together into the shape that you desire.

Take the glued piece and bring it outside in a well ventilated area.  I used the box method to keep my paint contained.  I used gold because it's what I had handy but you can use any color you want to compliment your room.

Spray paint the art and make sure to get in the nooks and crannies.  

Flip the piece over if you have to but be very careful not to get any paint on yourself.  Wear gloves if you have to.

While the paint is drying, figure out where you would like to hang it up and how many push pins you might need to hold the piece up.

Once you figure out where you want to hang your new artwork, set your push pins in place and hang them up through the petals.  Use clear push pins to make it look as if they're hanging in thin air.


(Sorry for the weird shadows, the bathroom isn't the best place to take photos.)

And now you have a cute piece of art on what used to be a blank wall!  What I love about it is that no one knows it's made out of toilet paper rolls and adds such an elegant touch to your wall spaces.  I think it turned out a little short so I'm going to save up some more pieces of toilet paper and continue having it creep down the wall.  I love it and can't wait to continue making more.  


No comments:

Post a Comment