Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ecofriendly DIY Jewelry Cleaner


Pin Rating: 5
Original Pin: Centsible Chick
Cost: $0
Duration: 10-15 minutes

So one weekend while I was sitting across from my boyfriend eating lunch I saw him staring at me with such concentration.  I turned around me to see if he was looking past me, but there was nothing there. When I ask him what's going on he bluntly says: "You need to clean your earings."  Yikes!  If my boyfriend is noticing it then they must be dirty!  So right away I knew I had to find a DIY Jewelry cleaner on Pintrest.  I found one that had the most repins and seem to be quick and doable, and it turned out it was great and I love it!  Common household items that I already had so it didn't cost any money either!

  • Small bowl
  • 1 Table spoon Salt
  • 1 Table spoon Baking Soda
  • 1 Table spoon Dawn Soap detergent (Why Dawn? I'm not sure)
  • 1 cup of water
  • Foil

Before shot of the earrings.  Microwave the water.  DO NOT microwave foil.  Just microwave the water in a microwave safe container for 2 minutes.  While the water is in the microwave, take this time to wrap the bowl in the foil to cover the bottom of the bowl.

Pour in the warm water, salt and baking soda.

Pour in the dish soap.

Stir it up and then drop in the jewelry that you want cleaned. Make sure that it comes into contact with the foil.  The baking soda and aluminum will react together to bubble and clean your jewelry.

Set the timer for 5-10 minutes.  In the photo I have it set for 5 minutes.  I found that leaving it for more than 5 minutes provided better results.

Thought this crystal was cute.  Pour the liquid out and be careful not to pour your jewelry down the drain.  Use a dry paper towel or cloth to rub them dry.

And here you go!  Can you tell which one is before and which one is after?

It cleaned out all the nooks and crannies really well.

Now I have a nice set of shiny earrings to wear.  :)  Note: These are not diamond earrings, they're Swarovski crystals mounted on sterling silver.  It did no damage to the earrings though and worked like it was suppose to.  Be sure to dispose of the foil after each use and you can continue to more jewelry sparkle with each new batch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment