Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Fabmo cannot be any more fabulous!

(Logo from FabMo.org)


Earth Day is around the corner and things just kind of lined up so that I havethe perfect ecofriendly post to honor Earth Day!  So I've started interning with Ecomonster for the past couple of weeks now and I've learned so much! One of the things I found out about was FabMo.org, a nonprofit organization that gives away free "scrap" fabric that otherwise would have been thrown away by places such as textile companies.  Here's a cool informative video about FabMo.


Lucky for me, when I found out about FabMo, their next event was a week away so I signed up for a selection slot right away.  Their website is pretty easy to navigate and you can sign up for 45 minute slots available 3 days at least once a month.  They have multiple time slots available to ensure that they don't get over crowded and so that you can always get a fresh batch of fabric to look through.

The parking lot is small but if you pick an early or late enough time there should still be plenty of parking spots.  There's only one or out of their little warehouse area and immediately you can see a full table stacked with fabric.  I'm not going to lie, I got a little giddy seeing it.  At the door there were a few volunteers standing and talking to other folks searching the room and checking people in.  A volunteer greeted me and checked me in an explained how things work since I told it was my first time there.  You're free to walk around the room, majority of the fabric is in the middle table and back wall had some rugs and carpets, vinyls and other scraps in other sections.  Then she showed me against the check in wall they had 3 different bag sizes and the suggested donation value.  After that I was free to roam the room and stuff my bad full of goodies.  :)

Huge piles of fabric to rummage through on the center table.  they were organized by size and set in short stacks all across the table.  Everyone kind of just roams around looking through stacks and that is exactly what I did too.  There were stacks of fabrics in all sorts of sizes.  The most popular sizes were place mat sizes (no cutting/sewing required).  



Along the front there were baskets of trim and tassels all organized in boxes. 

Roles of vinyls, fabrics, and rugs!  After a few minutes the volunteers got everyone's attention and mentioned that the "Fabric Fairies" will come out and bring more fabrics if we organized the stacks to make sure that others can have an enjoyable experience looking through organized stacks of fabrics.  Everyone laughed and all sorted the closest stack of fabric.  Nothing but smiles and cheers at that time.


At the end of my 45 minutes I managed to grab a full bag of all sorts of goodies.  I left my donation at the door on my way out and thanked them for such a great experience.

Here's my free* haul from FabMo.  I'm in love with this place and I'm probably going to be going again next month and as long as my schedule allows me to attend their selection events.  I can't wait to give these rescued designer fabrics a new life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment