Friday, November 2, 2012

Homemade Taco Shells & Bowls




Pin Rating: 5
Duration: 20-30 minutes (7-10 minute cook time per batch)

Mini Rant about the pin: The taco bowl pin drove me a little nuts because when I went to go look at the original instructions there were none!  This was an actual upload by a user so it didn't link up to a website and the pin itself didn't have any instructions.  I'll repin my own picture in a bit with instructions so that there's a good copy out there on Pintrest for everyone to repin.   End of rant. :)

Last month my boyfriend decided he wants to start budgeting a little better so we went grocery shopping.  Some Guerrero corn tortillas were on sale so we grabbed a pack.  Once we got home he decided to have a snack and took one bite of it and almost immediately had a frown on his face.  Apparently these are not the tortillas that he likes.  So since we bought them and we have them I turned to Pintrest for some ways to spice them up a bit so that they're more to his liking.  This quick and simple recipe did the trick!  He loved them and said they were way better this time.  (I made this over at my boyfriend's house and only had my phone so pictures aren't that great but hopefully you can get a good idea of what is going on)

Here's the original pin for the taco shells: http://pinterest.com/pin/231724343298465668/  I used the instructions from this pin to make both shapes of tortilla.

What you'll need:
  • Cooking oil (spray or have a brush handy is recommended)
  • Tortillas
  • Oven rack
  • Muffin tin
  • Oven @ 375°F


First microwave your tortillas wrapped in paper towel for at least 30 seconds.  This gets them soft and flexible so that they won't break as easily when you're handling them.  I didn't have a brush handy or a spray so I poured some olive oil onto a plate and then dipped the tortilla evenly on both sides.




Once the oven was ready I laid the tortilla down onto the rack.  Some oil did drip off onto the bottom so you should put a tray down below to catch it.  I used chopsticks to help guide the sides over 2 bars of the oven rack. 

While the taco shells sat in the oven I started working on the tortilla bowls.  By the time I got to the  bowls the tortillas were not as warm anymore and it cracked when I was trying to set it down on the bottom of the muffin tin.

After I microwaved them again and oiled them they were a little more manageable.  Note the top one actually has too much oil.  There's a little puddle in the middle of the tortilla.  You do NOT want that to happen because the tortilla will not bake as well.  Make sure that the tortillas are lightly oiled and not drenched in it.  Once that's ready pop them into the oven.  Since the originally pin I had didn't have instructions I just used the same instructions for the taco shells - 357 degrees for 7-10 minutes.

I used a pair of tongs to get these out of the oven without hurting myself or cracking the shell.  They weren't as hard as I had hopped them to be.  I think I could have left them in longer but we were hungry.  :)

I was worried that the bottoms of the shell might be too thick but they worked perfectly!


The taco bowls looked nice and tasted great but were really awkward to eat from.  When we do this again I think we're just going to stick to the taco shells.



No comments:

Post a Comment