Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Dressing Up My Dresser


So my home away from home calls for me to buy a few new "furniture" fixtures and I'm not about to go out and invest in a ton of money into a temporary home.  Moving cost a lot.  And I mean a lot!  Especially if you're making that initial move to rent a room.  You always have to think about the deposit and how you're going to move all of your stuff, or buy new furniture.  I ended up moving some of my stuff but mostly been furnishing my room with plastic and non permanent fixtures.  So my latest addition to my room is this plastic 3 tiered dresser.  I decided to use this as my socks, underwear, pj, pants etc drawer.  Since I didn't want my clothes to be showing straight through the dresser I decided to dress it up a bit.


What you'll need: 
  • Plastic dresser drawer
  • Scrapbooking paper (or wrapping paper)
  • scissors
  • Double sided tape
  • Ruler
  • Pen



Start by pulling out one drawer.  Measure the flat surface area of the front of the bin.  For mine the sides went up to 5 inches but the center dipped down to 4.5 inches to allow for the handle.  So instead of going the extra mile to adjust for the dip I decided to go 4.5 straight across.  Take your paper and cut it to size since every dresser will vary.  I had 12 x 12 scrapbook paper so I cut them into 2 strips of 4.5 inches tall paper and taped them together to fit length of the drawer.

 Use the double sided tape on the side that will be facing outwards on the bin.  Use 2 strips of tape that go the full length of the sides and a small piece on the top and bottom so that your tape makes a stumpy U shape on the sides.  Also add a small piece of tape in the center of the strip.  You can add more if you like but I found that to be just enough.  Carefully place and press down the paper until it's secured to the front of the bin.  And repeat it for all the drawers to with whatever design you want and you're all done! 

All that's left is to place it into the closet and fill it with your clothes.  I love how it gives my dresser some personality and privacy!




No comments:

Post a Comment