Friday, July 5, 2013

Etsy Craft Party Event Recap



How was everyone's 4th of July? :)  Fun with family & fireworks I hope.  For me it was a nice break from everything and I was finally able to write a blog post.  I have to admit though, I haven't been able to write a blog post partly because I was busy, but also because I was really heart broken after the Etsy party.

The event itself was really fun, but the turn out was a little disappointing.  We had 40 people RSVP online and only 3 people from that list showed up, and 7 walk ins (One was a family of 5).  It was a little difficult to process the feeling because although we had people show up and we had fun crafting, a part of me wondered why 37 people RSVP online and were a no show.  We had a huge stage room reserved for the party and put in a lot of time and effort to do the marketing, prep the stations, and shop for supplies for 40 crafters.  After putting so much time and energy into preparing for the party and only having 10 people show up I was really sad.  We were charging $5 at the door to cover cost of materials which wasn't an odd thing to see since other parties were also charging, so I'm assuming that couldn't have been the reason people didn't show up.  We also mentioned the $5 on the event title when people submitted their RSVP online.  (We couldn't charge customers directly because it would have gone directly to Etsy's eventbrite account.)

Before the party was started I was really excited about the number of people signed up and I guess I built up the party in my head that the night was going to be amazing.  We even had a box of supplies sent to us through Etsy with amazing craft materials!  A box of craft supplies is such an amazing thing so you can see why my level of excitement was up there.  But the night turned out to be a small gathering vs. a huge crafting party.

On a more positive note, we had great stations set up and also had cupcakes donated by my future sister in law - The Buttercup Baker.  :)

Mini Cupcakes graciously donated by The Buttercup Baker .


I love the details that she put into each one.

Chocolate w/ strawberry preserves
Lemon w/ blueberry buttercream
Chocolate w/ peanut butter frosting

I spent my time at the craft party mingling and making my own merit badge.  Materials were included in our box of goodies from Etsy.


Handmade cards for our troops #craftparty
We purchased some overstock of blank cards and had them available at the card making station.  My close friend also donated some Hero themed scrapbooking stickers for the event too and they looked great on the cards.  This had to be one of my favorite stations.  Crafters made the cards for troops to use to send home and were able to also leave a message to the troops.  I loved the cards that everyone made.  Unfortunately since there were so little of us, we only 7 cards made at the end of the night.

The following week since we still had supplies from the craft party still laying around I decided to take the time to create more cards so that I can drop off a larger donation with Operation Care and Comfort.  After an hour I had made 30 cards :)

Happy with my fat stack of cards.

I wish I took more photos of the event, but I spent most of the time chatting and crafting with others.  Overall I since I enjoy crafting in general, I had fun making and creating with new faces.  However, lesson learned is that if you're planning a big craft party and need to charge for material cost you should probably charge up front.  It was hard for me to digest the feeling but I think I finally got my craft spark back.  I was walking around Harbor Freight with my boyfriend last night and got so many ideas so hopefully more consistent blogposts to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment